Picked up from the good folk of Burton Leonard; someone suggested the recipe had come from Skelton-on-Ure.
1 tablespoon golden syrup
½ tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4oz self raising flour
4oz porridge oats
* Combine the margarine, syrup and sugar in a saucepan; heat until the margarine has melted, stirring occasionally. Take off the heat.
* Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the milk in a jug and then add to the warm mixture. Stir well.
* Add the flour and oats to the syrup mixture and combine thoroughly. Allow to cool in the saucepan (no need for the fridge)
* Spoon out 1" balls onto a greased baking tray. Allow space for the mixture to spread!
* Bake in a medium-hot oven approx 350°F for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
* Allow to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack and then hide from the family in a biscuit tin.